Prepare Your Food A Little Differently
Its not only what you eat its how you eat it. Just as you can change what you buy in the grocery store, you can also choose healthier ways to make your food that help lower your cholesterol naturally. For example:
- Trim fat and remove the skin when cooking meat or fish. This helps you get the protein while reducing fat intake.
- Focus on boiling, broiling, baking, poaching or grilling. These are better methods of preparation than deep frying or breading, which can bring in extra fat.
Increase Movement In Your Daily Tasks
Every doctors first two advice when addressing lowering cholesterol levels is to improve their diet and exercise more.
Increasing your daily activity and exercising more can lower your LDL cholesterol levels by increasing the rate at which cells break down bad fats and releasing blood sugar into the bloodstream.
If you are looking for a new way to get more exercise, try out some of these options that will make it easier on your joints:
Walking or running in place while watching T.V.
Doing yoga poses during commercials when watching television
Perform wall pushups against our office walls whenever we need a breather from working hard! This also helps with improving posture and strengthening muscles around the chest area.
Walking is one of my favorite ways to lower LDL cholesterol because its an easy activity that can be done all day long! One hour of walking burns about 100 calories which means youre on the right track.
What Are The Negative Effects On The Body From High Ldl Cholesterol Levels
There are many illnesses and health concerns that stem from having high total cholesterol levels.
Some health conditions that can be triggered by high cholesterol include:
- Atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries and vascular dementia, which can lower brain function.
- Increased risk of heart disease and strokes from plaque buildup on artery walls.
- Angina chest pain that is a result of atherosclerosis restricting blood flow to the heart muscle.
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
And that is to name a few.
Don’t Miss: Does Shrimp Cause High Cholesterol
Orange Juice For Bad Cholesterol
Orange Juce naturally reduce bad cholesterol. Orange juice is rich in vitamin c and flavonoids. Drinking two glasses of plant sterol-fortified orange juice per day can lower the cholesterol level by up to 11% of the total.
You do not need to make plans to lower your cholesterol levels drink two glasses of sterol-fortified orange juice per day, and you will see a gradual increase of good cholesterol and a decrease in bad cholesterol levels.
So load up your kitchen with orange juice and make it a habit to drink at least 750 ML of orange juice in a day if your medical reports are showing your cholesterol level higher than the normal range.
What Medications Lower Cholesterol Lipids And Triglycerides
Lipid-altering medications are used to lower blood levels of undesirable lipids such as LDL cholesterol and triglycerides and increase blood levels of desirable lipids such as HDL cholesterol. Several classes of medications are available in the United States, including HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors , nicotinic acid, fibric acid derivatives, and medications that decrease intestinal cholesterol absorption . Some of these medications are primarily useful in lowering LDL cholesterol, others in lowering triglycerides, and some in elevating HDL cholesterol. Medications also can be combined to more aggressively lower LDL, as well as lower LDL and increase HDL at the same time.
Newer medications, alirocumab and evolocumab have been approved to help lower LDL levels in certain pateints where diet and other statin medications have not worked adequately.
Note: Dosing guidelines change. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a guideline concerning the potential dangers of taking the 80 mg dose of simvastatin .
Read Also: Does Tuna Have Good Or Bad Cholesterol
Lower Ldl Levels Are Better
In a JAMA editorial accompanying the study, Christopher P. Cannon, MD, of Brigham and Womens Hospital and Harvard Medical School wrote that aggressive LDL lowering is the ideal lower is better.
The JAMA studys findings echo those of another large 4,162-patient study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It concluded that LDL cholesterol levels of 62 were even better than levels of 95 at preventing death, heart attacks, and other cardiovascular-related problems in people with heart disease.
Apple Cider Vinegar For Bad Cholesterol
How to reduce bad cholesterol in body with ACV? Yes, From high blood pressure to upper respiratory infections, apple cider vinegar is used to treat many human bodies problems.
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for the treatment of high cholesterol.
Well, I know the taste is not good, but you can add it to some juices like apple grape or any other fruit juices and make the taste better for a better taste. This remedy starts showing improvements in your cholesterol level in approx one month.
You May Like: Does Tuna Have Good Or Bad Cholesterol
How To Swap Unhealthy Fats For Healthy Fats
- Choose to buy foods containing healthy fats such as olive oil, or other unsaturated fats.
- Read the product labels. Green and amber colour codes are used for low and medium saturated fat content.
- What is low fat? For each 100g of food, low fat is 3 g or less. Low saturated fat is 1.5 g or less.
- What is high fat? For each 100g of fat, 17.5 g or more is high-fat. 5g or more is high-saturated fat.
- Cook with small amounts of healthy fat such as 1-calorie olive oil cooking spray.
- Boil, bake, steam, or grill, using small amounts of healthy fat only.
- Cut the fat off meat before you cook it and get rid of the skin. Use the best quality, leanest meat you can find. If you use cooking oil from a bottle, measure out your cooking oil so you use no more than a teaspoon.
- Bulk-out recipes with vegetables, beans, and pulses.
- Look for healthy alternatives. You can swap standard chocolate brownies for example for healthy chocolate and avocado brownies, made with avocado instead of butter.
- Use plant-based spreads on bread rather than butter.
- Choose skimmed or semi-skimmed milk, and low-fat yoghurts.
- Avoid high-fat takeaway foods, often containing fatty meat, high-fat cheese, sauces, and fried accompaniments such as chips and fried rice.
- Avoid biscuits, cakes, and chocolates choose healthy snacks such as fruit and nuts instead.
For more information
Eat More Beans Fewer Potatoes
Carbohydrates are important for energy production. However, there are differences in the quality of carbohydrates, too. Whole grains like beans, quinoa, whole-wheat pasta, and brown rice are high in fiber that can help lower cholesterol. Whole grains also keep you feeling full longer. The carbohydrates in pastries, white rice, white bread, and potatoes boost blood sugar levels rapidly. This can lead you to feel hungry sooner, potentially leading to overeating.
Fenugreek Seeds For Bad Cholesterol
If you are interested in knowing, how to reduce cholesterol without medication then fenugreek seeds are right choice. Fenugreek seeds come with some components that reduce the absorption of cholesterol by the body, which comes from the rich in fats.
Fenugreek seeds are rich in minerals like calcium, selenium, and zinc. Also, fenugreek seeds are loaded with vitamins A, B, and C.taking fenugreek seeds daily can also reduce the risk of heart attack by 25%.
What Are Normal Cholesterol Blood Levels
There are no established “normal” blood levels for total and LDL cholesterol. In most other blood tests in medicine, normal ranges can be set by taking measurements from large number of healthy subjects. The normal range of LDL cholesterol among “healthy” adults in the United States may be too high. The atherosclerosis process may be quietly progressing in many healthy children and adults with average LDL cholesterol blood levels, putting them at risk of developing coronary heart disease in the future.
Also Check: How Much Cholesterol In Pork Chops
How Can High Ldl Or Bad Cholesterol Levels Be Lowered
Therapeutic lifestyle changes to lower cholesterol
It must be emphasized that lifestyle modification remains a critical component of health promotion and ASCVD risk reduction, both prior to and in concert with the use of cholesterol-lowering drug therapies.- 2013 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults
- Therapeutic lifestyle changes to lower LDL cholesterol can help lower and maintain levels naturally. This may involve:
- Getting regular exercise
- Eating a heart healthy diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol
Newer medications, PCSK9 protein antibodies, Alirocumab and evolocumab are potentially useful in treating certain patients where diet and statins have failed to adequately lower LDL level.
Foods fortified with plant sterols and stanols
My Doctor Put Me On A Statin So Im Fine Right
A statin is a type of drug that works to lower your cholesterol by restricting the enzyme involved in your own bodys cholesterol production.
As with any medication, statins do come with some side effects. The most common symptom, is muscle aches/pain, occurring in about 5 percent of people on a statin . Other less common side effects include increased blood sugar, inflammation in the liver, and confusion . Unfortunately, statins are also known for decreasing the levels of coenzyme q10 in the body, which is involved in many nerve and muscle pathways .
Statins can improve some cholesterol numbers and may reduce the risk of a heart attack . Doctors may recommend a statin to you for reasons like family history/risk, for example. For most of us, though, statins do not address the most common root causean unhealthy lifestyle! Improving diet, exercise, and stress may reduce your risk of heart attack by up to 80 percent !
My point in saying this isnt for you to go willy nilly and nix your statins. Instead, it is SO IMPORTANT to understand that we cannot take a drug and call it good. We have to make lifestyle modifications our primary focus in order to make REAL change in our health!
The most powerful medication you can take is at the end of your fork.
Disclaimer: Please talk to your doctor before starting or stopping any medication.
Don’t Miss: How Much Cholesterol In Pork Chops
Measuring Blood Cholesterol Levels
When measuring cholesterol levels, doctors will assess four markers in a persons blood:
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol: The bad cholesterol. A lower LDL number may be a good indicator of health and lower risk of disease.
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol: The beneficial cholesterol. Low HDL cholesterol may be a risk factor for other issues, and a higher HDL number may indicate health.
- Blood triglycerides: A common type of fat in the blood. Higher levels may mean that a person has an increased risk of some issues, especially when they also have other risk factors, such as low HDL cholesterol.
- Total cholesterol: This number takes into account the levels of blood triglycerides and LDL and HDL cholesterol.
Doctors will use all of these numbers within the context of a persons overall health and other risk factors to determine their risk of heart disease and stroke.
How To Lower Bad Cholesterol In Blood Naturally Without Medication
Cholesterol is a type of fat in the blood that is naturally produced by the liver and can also be obtained from some foods.
Cholesterol supports many essential body functions, such as cell membrane formation and hormone production.
However, having high levels of bad cholesterol which is low-density lipoprotein cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
Physicians usually prescribe statins as a treatment, but they can cause some side effects. Is it possible to lower bad cholesterol in the blood without medication?
In this article, we explore some ways to lower bad cholesterol without medication, such as ways to lower bad cholesterol naturally through some lifestyle changes, ways to lower bad cholesterol with exercise, ways to lower blood cholesterol with herbs, and some cholesterol-lowering drinks!
- Why try to lower blood cholesterol without medication?
- Ways to lower blood cholesterol naturally
- Ways to lower blood cholesterol with exercise
- Herbal ways to lower blood cholesterol
- Drinks that lower blood cholesterol
Read Also: Is Shrimp Bad For Your Cholesterol
Work In Some More Movement To Your Daily Tasks
Do you need to start running every day? Do you need to join a gym or buy a bunch of home fitness equipment? If you want to, go ahead! But there are many other choices, and finding a routine that works for you is whats most important.
Ideally, you want to aim for at least 2.5 hours of moderate physical activity every week. You can break that up however you like. You might focus on doing something every day, or you could dedicate yourself to just a few days per week. The key is to just get started.
For example, do you usually take the elevator? Take the stairs instead. Do you walk your dog every day? Go a little farther than usual, or walk at a faster pace. Need to go shopping? Park farther away than you normally do. Catching up on your favorite TV series? Try stretching, dumbbells or kettlebells while youre watching rather than just sitting on the couch. Also look for chances to bring motion into your daily life, such as walking while you talk on the phone.
If youre feeling good, work up to more intense physical activity, like lap swimming, jogging or hot yoga. Dont overexert yourself, but remember that regular and consistent exercise has benefits beyond managing your cholesterol. It also helps reduce blood pressure and builds your overall physical, mental and emotional well-being.
Even if you just go a little farther or a little faster than you usually do, that extra activity will be a big step in the right direction for your health.
Lifestyle Changes To Lower Cholesterol
Heart-healthy lifestyle changes that can help you lower or control your cholesterol include
- Heart-healthy eating. A heart-healthy eating plan limits the amount of saturated and trans fats that you eat. It recommends that you eat and drink only enough calories to stay at a healthy weight and avoid weight gain. It encourages you to choose a variety of nutritious foods, including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. Examples of eating plans that can lower your cholesterol include the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes diet and the DASH eating plan.
- Weight Management. If you are overweight, losing weight can help lower your LDL cholesterol. This is especially important for people with metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a group of risk factors that includes high triglyceride levels, low HDL cholesterol levels, and being overweight with a large waist measurement .
- Physical Activity. Everyone should get regular physical activity .
- Managing stress. Research has shown that chronic stress can sometimes raise your LDL cholesterol and lower your HDL cholesterol.
- Quitting smoking.Quitting smoking can raise your HDL cholesterol. Since HDL helps to remove LDL cholesterol from your arteries, having more HDL can help to lower your LDL cholesterol.
You May Like: Is Shrimp Bad For Your Cholesterol
Can I Use Vitamins To Lower My Cholesterol
The only vitamin that really lowers cholesterol is red yeast rice at 1200 mg twice a day, according to Dr. Cho.
The problem with red yeast rice is that it contains the same chemical compound as lovastatin, which means you would need to have your liver function monitored if you take it, she says. The Food and Drug Administration hasnt approved this supplement for medical use, so talk to your doctor before considering it.
All in all, you can lower your cholesterol naturally. Diet should be the cornerstone of therapy and pills are a supplement, not a substitute, for a good diet. Always talk to your doctor before taking any new supplements.
How Do I Lower My Cholesterol Your 5 Top Questions Answered
High cholesterol could be caused by things we can control like lifestyle habits, or things we cant like age and family history. Keeping on top of the things you can control with simple changes can help to lower your risk of heart and circulatory disease. We answer your questions with simple tips to help you start making changes today.
Recommended Reading: Are Pork Chops High In Cholesterol
Limit Saturated Fat Dietary Cholesterol And Avoid Trans
Saturated fat is found in fatty meats such as beef and pork, whole milk, cheese, heavy cream, coconut oil, butter, fried foods, egg yolks and baked goods. Trans fat is found in shortening, stick margarine, frozen pizzas and donuts. Many of the foods rich in saturated and trans fats are also high in dietary cholesterol. Some helpful tips to lower saturated fats, trans fat, and cholesterol are:
Eat no more than 6 ounces of lean meats or poultry or fish each day.
Choose skim or low-fat dairy products .
Use liquid oils instead of solid fats .
Add beans, soy products and nuts to your diet.
Limit foods which contain partially hydrogenated oils.
Limit egg yolks to 4 per week.
Avoid liver and other organ meats.
Limit shrimp to 3-5 ounces per week.
Try to limit saturated fats to about 13 grams per day or less and trans fats to 2 grams a day or less.