What Recommendations Will I Receive
You might need to take action if your LDL cholesterol, the bad cholesterol, is above normal.
You will be given recommendations to help you lower your LDL cholesterol levels. Most of all, this is advice on diet and exercise.
If your test result indicates an increased risk of arteriosclerosis, please consult a doctor. They can help you assess your other risk factors and decide if treatment is necessary.
What Does An At
At-home cholesterol tests can measure the total amount of cholesterol in a blood sample and may also determine the levels of specific kinds of cholesterol.
Cholesterol and other fat-like substances are known as lipids. To travel through the blood, lipids must attach to particles called lipoproteins, which are made up of a mix of proteins and fat.
Cholesterol can attach to different kinds of lipoproteins, and this is a primary way of distinguishing between types of cholesterol. A lipid panel is a kind of cholesterol test that evaluates several types of lipids. The standard components of a lipid panel include:
- Total cholesterol:Total cholesterol is the sum of all types of cholesterol found in a blood sample.
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol: Also known as good cholesterol,HDL cholesterol contributes to cardiovascular health in several ways, including by reducing the unwanted buildup of cholesterol in arteries.
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol: Commonly referred to as bad cholesterol,LDL cholesterol is linked to cardiovascular problems like heart disease and stroke. In most cases, LDL-C is calculated using an equation based on the other measurements in a lipid panel.
- Triglycerides: Triglycerides are another type of fat that have been associated with cardiovascular problems.
Take Control Of Your Cholesterol Health
With an at-home cholesterol DNA test, you can learn all about your cardiovascular health and lipid levels, even without going to a doctor.
Any of the tests on this list are great options fo detailed insights into your cholesterol, quick results, and actionable reports.
For the best cholesterol test, choose LetsGetChecked, because its comprehensive, budget-friendly, and comes with extras like free support and testing for diabetes.
Now youve learned about your cholesterol, why not take DNA testing further? If youre interested in seeing the best tests for assessing your overall health, check out our roundup.
Read Also: Are Bananas High In Cholesterol
What To Look For When Choosing A Cholesterol Test Kit
A person should ask a doctor to help them choose an appropriate cholesterol test kit for them. However, they may also wish to consider the following when looking for a test kit:
- Laboratories: A person should check whether or not a company works with CLIA-certified laboratories. This indicates that they hold federal certifications and meet quality laboratory testing standards.
- Consultations: Many brands offer doctors consultations for people who wish to discuss their results. However, these may only be available to those who receive a positive cholesterol test result.
- Design: Some devices are small, lightweight, and portable. These may be suitable for individuals who travel regularly. Some test kits also come with a travel case.
- Guide: It is best to choose a device that comes with a user guide that explains how individuals should use the test kit. Some brands, such as LetsGetChecked, also provide instructional videos on their website.
- Subscriptions: At-home cholesterol test kits come with a one-time price, but there are also companies that offer subscription plans for people who need to check their cholesterol levels regularly.
The body produces cholesterol naturally. However, cholesterol is also present in some foods, including:
- processed meats
- full fat dairy products, such as milk, cheese, and yogurt
- seafood, such as octopus and prawn
Whats In The Fine Print
Its no fun finding a budget-friendly test, only to be hit with extra costs along the way. Whether its processing, shipping, or support fees, I looked in detail at all the companies terms and conditions so you know what to expect.
Actually, I found that all tests on this list offer free shipping. Each kit also comes with a prepaid envelope, so you dont need to pay to return it either. You also dont have to pay any extra for processing your sample or producing your report.
The tests that offer follow-up support with a physician all do so for free. Everlywell does offer a free call with a nurse,but only for diagnostic results such as STI tests, so you dont get that luxury with cholesterol testing, unfortunately.
You can get caught out in other areas, too. Remember that with HealthLabs, you have to visit one of their testing centers to submit your sample. So if you really want an at-home test, its not for you.
And 23andMe has a result waiting time of 2-3 weeks because of the depth of the report, and the fact you get ancestry and more health screening information. Be aware of that before buying. For quick results, stick with the other options on the list.
You May Like: What Is The Best Thing To Take For High Cholesterol
Taking A Test Or Sample At Home
If you do choose to take a cholesterol test or sample at home, follow these tips to help you
Key information about cholesterol tests
It is important to remember that most home cholesterol testing kits using a solid statement monitor will only give your total cholesterol and not the full breakdown of your results. Samples that are sent to a laboratory are more likely to give the full breakdown.
This breakdown is important as it could greatly affect the advice youre given about what action to take.
You can check your results against our suggested healthy ranges. Always follow up a home sample with a proper blood test taken by a healthcare professional.
How Do I Improve My Cholesterol Levels
Its not just foods that are high in cholesterol that lead to bad cholesterol levels. Your weight and exercise have the greatest influence. Weight loss, regular exercise and a balanced diet are the most important steps you can take to improve your cholesterol levels.
In addition, you can eat fewer foods that increase LDL cholesterol. These include crisps and sweets, highly processed meat, soy and sunflower oil and alcohol.
Also Check: How Fast Does Cholesterol Change
What Do The Results From A Cholesterol Home Test Kit Mean
Your cholesterol level is one part of an equation that your doctor uses to determine your risk of a heart attack and stroke in the next 10 years. Other parts include your race, gender, age, HDL cholesterol level, and blood pressure. In addition, the equation factors in your use of blood pressure medications, whether or not you have diabetes, and if you smoke.
Once you know your risk, you and your doctor can work to lower your likelihood of a heart attack or stroke. In addition to healthy lifestyle and dietary changes, you may need a medication known as a statin to reduce the level of LDL cholesterol thatâs in your blood by 20 to 60 percent.
The cholesterol kit test results are only an estimate of your cholesterol level. While the test is often as accurate as the test your health care provider uses, this home test should not be a substitute for your health care provider’s assessment.
Whats The Difference Between Ldl And Hdl Cholesterol
- LDL cholesterol = low-density lipoprotein. This is often referred to as âbad cholesterolâ because increased levels may lead to arterial plaque deposits. If unaddressed, these plaque deposits may lead to restricted blood flow throughout the body which can in turn lead to an increased risk of heart attack or stroke. Having a high level of LDL cholesterol can increase this risk. There are many factors that can influence higher LDL levels, such as family history, genetics, and dietary habits.
- HDL cholesterol = high-density lipoprotein. HDL is often referred to as the âgood cholesterolâ because it absorbs cholesterol and carries it back to the liver. This may in turn lower your risk of heart disease and stroke.
You May Like: How Much Does 20 Mg Lipitor Lower Cholesterol
How Do They Work
Many home cholesterol tests can measure total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, and triglycerides from a blood sample. Some also measure LDL cholesterol. These tests can be purchased online or at your local pharmacy.
There are three basic types that work in different ways:
- Test strips: These involve paper test strips that you read visually. You add a drop of blood from a finger prick and read the color change after several minutes.
- Electronic meters: This type requires purchasing a small analyzer that is similar to a glucose meter. After placing a drop of blood on a test strip, the strip is inserted into the analyzer for a reading.
- Mail-in tests: The third type of test requires sending a blood sample to a laboratory where health professionals do the analysis. You have to wait for them to contact you with your results.
If you decide to use a mail-in service, opt for labs that are part of the Cholesterol Reference Method Laboratory Network certified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention . You can also check online to see if the lab is on the CDC-certified list.
What Happens During A Cholesterol Test
A health care professional will take a blood sample from a vein in your arm, using a small needle. After the needle is inserted, a small amount of blood will be collected into a test tube or vial. You may feel a little sting when the needle goes in or out. This usually takes less than five minutes.
You may be able to use an at-home kit to check your cholesterol levels. Your kit will include a device to prick your finger to collect a drop of blood for testing. Be sure to follow the kit instructions carefully. Also, be sure to tell your provider if your at-home test shows that your total cholesterol level is higher than 200 mg/dl.
Read Also: How Much Will Statins Lower My Cholesterol
What Is A Cholesterol Home Test Kit
The cholesterol home test kit is a convenient and effective way to test your cholesterol level. It allows you to monitor your cholesterol without having to go to a doctor’s office. And, rather than waiting days or weeks for cholesterol test results, the cholesterol test kit can give you results in a matter of minutes.
Are Cholesterol Home Test Kits Regulated By The Fda
The FDA does regulate certain cholesterol home test kits. There are home test kits for HDL cholesterol and triglycerides, too. However, not all cholesterol home test kits you can buy meet the FDA’s stringent guidelines.
If you are unsure about which cholesterol home test kit to purchase, the FDA has set up the Over-The-Counter Database. You can find it on the FDA’s website. This database is an excellent resource to search for FDA-cleared cholesterol home test kits. You can also use it to find other types of home test kits.
Also Check: What To Eat To Raise My Good Cholesterol
Detailed Results Online Usually Within 24 Hours
Get cholesterol home test results delivered securely online, typically within 24 hours.
While we don’t guarantee this, as analysis of biological samples is complex and can be variable, results are returned in this timeframe in most cases.
Get rapid reassurance and take control of your cholesterol health.
Purchasing In Bulk/high Unit Volume
Please note that when purchasing high unit volumes of single lines that delivery promotions are null and void.This is as a result of high volume orders not being able to be dispatched via our normal third party fulfilment.As a result for any excessive bulk orders of single lines we will be in touch regarding your order to discuss further delivery costs that will be incurred.
Don’t Miss: What Does Cholesterol Medicine Do
How Accurate Are They
The Food and Drug Administration states that at-home tests they have approved are about as accurate as the tests done by your doctor if you follow the instructions correctly. These tests have information about the test’s accuracy printed on the product label.
However, note that for the majority of these devices, there is little published research about their accuracy.
The biggest challenge associated with home cholesterol testing is user error. This can lead to an inaccurate result.
Here are just a few of the things that can go wrong:
- Instructions: Were any of the instructions confusing?
- Fasting: Was fasting required and did you comply?
- Blood sample: Did you get an adequate drop of blood on the strip?
- Timing: Did you read it at the right time?
- Storage: Was the test kit stored at the right temperature?
- Expiration date: Was the kit within the expiration date?
- Reading: Was there any confusion about the colors on the test strip?
- Interpretation: Do you know what the results mean and whether you need to speak with your doctor?
This should not suggest that tests are excessively complicated. But you should know that one or two errors can lead to false results or misinterpretations.
If you get inconsistent results, see your doctor, who can check the values of your device or kit against an in-office test.
There are four at-home cholesterol tests currently approved by the FDA:
- Accutech CholesTrak
- Home Access Cholesterol Panel Kit
- Mission Cholesterol Test
How We Rated Cholesterol Test Kits
4.8 to 5 stars: These are the best cholesterol test kits we reviewed. We recommend them without reservation.
4.5 to 4.7 stars: These cholesterol test kits are excellentthey might have minor flaws, but we still recommend them.
4.0 to 4.5 stars: We think these are great cholesterol test kits, but others are better.
3.5 to 3.9 stars: These cholesterol test kits are just average.
3.4 and below: We don’t recommend cholesterol test kits with this rating you won’t find any on our list.
Don’t Miss: What Is A Healthy Cholesterol Level
Pros Of Everlywell At
- test is analyzed in the same type of laboratory used by doctors
- a personalized report that provides hands-on suggestions for lowering cholesterol is included
- accepts FSA and HSA payments
- budget priced
Price: $$$ for analyzer
This at-home test measures:
- full lipid panel
This battery-operated, handheld meter was designed for use in medical offices. According to the manufacturer, it uses the same technology laboratories use to analyze blood samples.
The meter reads and analyzes a blood sample on an inserted test strip. It produces results on the screen within 90 seconds.
Youll use a lancet and capillary rod to get your blood sample. A drop of blood is placed on a test strip, which is then inserted into the meter. Each level you measure, including LDL, HDL, and glucose, will require a different test strip. One finger stick provides enough blood to test for every marker.
If you have concerns about blood sugar and cholesterol and wish to test often at home, this meter may be an appropriate choice for you.
It comes with a 1-year factory warranty.
Symptoms Of High Cholesterol
Unfortunately the signs and symptoms of high cholesterol are normally noticeable until a major event, such as a heart attack or stroke, occurs. A heart attack is when blood flow to the heart is stopped while a stroke is the result of insufficient blood supply to the brain. Both of these conditions are medical emergencies that need immediate treatment.
High cholesterol results in the buildup of fat in arteries, which increases the likelihood of experiencing one or both of these events.
You May Like: Is Tofu Good For Cholesterol
Tips For Testing Your Cholesterol At Home
Cholesterol kits provide a safe, accessible, and effective alternative to testing your cholesterol at your healthcare provider. If itâs your first time using an at-home test, however, itâs easy to wonder if youâre doing everything right.
To ensure your at-home testing experience goes smoothly, follow the below tips:
- Properly sanitize the area from which you will draw blood.
- Follow the kitâs instructions carefully, including whether you should abstain from food or drinks before the test.
- If you are to abstain from food and drinks, learn kits
- Properly store your kit before and after use.
- Make sure you understand and results
- Seek a professionalâs opinion if your test results are unclear.
Why Should I Buy A
You can tell if you need or want a home cholesterol test kits by looking at your existing inventory. You probably dont need it and should reconsider buying it. If you cant get go of the old one, you could sell it and use the proceeds to buy the new one.This is a fun and easy approach to finish your task.
Lets face it, we all want to feel good about our purchases. But there are so many! How can you know which is best? You need not be concerned because Aids Quilt has your back. Our trained staff is here to help you find what works for you. Before making a final decision, you can take advantage of our free consultations. Let us show you how easy shopping for home audio equipment can be when you have an expert on your side!
Don’t Miss: How Much Metamucil To Lower Cholesterol
Type Of Cholesterol Measured
All at-home cholesterol test kits measure total cholesterol, and the more advanced options provide HDL and triglycerides readings as well. Only one of the FDA-approved cholesterol test kits also measures LDL. Pay close attention to what each test measures if youre in need of a more comprehensive analysis, and expect higher price tags on the tests that provide more measurements.